Saturday 20 August 2022

Thursday 18th August. Additional Vacuum Tank

I had an early start in the garage this morning, so I started off doing a job that was reasonably quiet. When I drove this car home from Colin's I thought it was a bit 'tappety', so I had made a mental note to check the valve clearances. I'm glad I did because a few of them were looser than they should be. Adjustments were made and the engine should be a tad quieter now.

Once I've taken this car round Europe, it's also being converted to injection at some point after the event. Now, Mk1 Pi's have a huge remote brake servo on the passenger side, but Mk2 Pi's have a smaller direct servo on the driver side and a smaller vacuum tank on the passenger side to boost the braking efficiency. 

My car has the smaller direct servo, so it made sense to fit the additional vacuum tank. With all the mountain passes we are going to be tackling on the 10CR, it made even more sense to fit it before we leave for Europe! 

The tank already has a bracket attached to it that will fit onto the existing radiator mounts, so that bit was straight forward. The problem was that that space was already taken up by the radiator expansion bottle. The easy answer was to reduce the size of the expansion bottle that could fit in that gap I had left after fitting the tank. The ideal solution came in the form of a plastic drinking chocolate jar that had been sitting in one of my cupboards since the winter. Job jobbed! 

The next job was to relocate the horn that had now been evicted from its home by the vacuum tank. When I have a bit  more time, I will relocate this properly in the recess of the nose cone, but for now I have just made a metal bracket and extended the mount. All in all, a good mornings work and another couple of jobs off the list! 







No comments:

Post a Comment