Friday 7 April 2023

Thursday 6th April. Triumph continuation.

 I had another day off work today, so I decided to get on with all the outstanding jobs on the Triumph so I can hopefully drive it at some point this weekend. 

The first job (while I had clean gloves) was to hide all the wiring for the Lucas fuel pump behind the interior panels and under the carpets where it can't be seen. This only took about an hour, so I was off to good start. Next on the list was to secure the choke cable. (Or fuel enrichener as it's known on Pi's) It had been fitted in a rush to get the car started, but not finished properly. 

The next job was to route and secure the main fuel line and also the return line from the metering unit back to the fuel tank. This involved getting the car up on axle stands at the front and rear and spending long spells lying underneath. This took quite some time as I didn't want the plastic fuel lines anywhere near the exhaust. Eventually, I got it finished and then stopped for lunch. 

The first job after lunch was to fit six new spark plugs and after that I moved onto relocating the fuse holder for the live for the relay for the Lucas fuel pump. The fuse holder was already fitted, but it was a bit of a mission to change fuses in the place where it was currently mounted. I moved it to a more suitable place on the inner wing just behind the strut turret. I had to trim some of the wires to adapt them to their new home, but by the time I was done, it looked a lot neater, so all was good. 

Next on the list was to re-fit the battery clamp, but not before fitting a new battery terminal clamp onto the positive battery lead. The old one had gone slightly out shape over the years. 

A flame trap was next. This fits between the rocker cover breather and the throttle body inlet. This was a straightforward job and didn't take long. 

By now it was gone 3pm and I had been on the go since 8am, so I was feeling a bit jaded. So I just drained the water out of the radiator so I could add some blue anti-freeze, then called it a day. I was pleased with what I had achieved though and I had knocked quite few jobs off of the list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment