Sunday 2 April 2023

Friday 31st March - Cylinder head replacement.

 Friday bleary morning saw me being woken up by a phone call at 6.40am from Dave Jones telling me that he had a head gasket for me. We arranged a meeting place, which was actually his first customers house in Heybridge, Essex. It turned out to be two streets off of the main road that we had driven down the night before on our way to Colins! 

The rain was already falling when I left, but luckily it didn't affect the traffic and I was back home by 8.50 am. Richard and Dave hadn't even missed me and both woke up shortly after I arrived home. 

The cylinder head we had collected from Colin needed some work. It had been sat on a shelf for a number of years, so the valves and springs were removed and cleaned before being reinserted. Dave and Richard did this while I started on the plumbing inside the boot. It does look a bit of 'Plumbers nightmare' I have to say, but the Mk1 Pi with the external swirl pot always did. If I can find a Mk2 Pi tank with the swirl pot inside it for a decent price, then I will switch to that and do away with the external swirl pot. But for now, it will have to do. It still needs a final tidy up, but the main objective today was to get it working enough to be able to get the car started if we got to that stage. 

Once I had done this, the cylinder head was ready for re-fitting, so I gave a hand to Dave and Richard. This was quite a time consuming affair, so by the time we had done this and fitted the throttle bodies, it was time to call it a day.  

As a reward for my friends working so hard I treated them to a meal at the local Indian Restaurant. This was followed by a couple of pints in the pub next door and a few Southern Comforts when we got a home. A very nice evening, but we were all feeling pretty knackered by now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment