Sunday 6 November 2022

Sunday 6th November - New Hubs

 To my surprise the new hubs for the Green Cortina arrived on Friday. I say surprise, because I had been told they were out of stock and they were waiting for them to come in. 

So, while the weather was still reasonably mild I decided to get out to the garage and get them fitted. I had also ordered new front wheel bearings and new wheel studs, so the first job was to press the bearing sleeves in. This was made a whole lot easier by using my 20 ton press. I don't use this piece of equipment very often, but it doesn't half make life easy when I do! With the bearing sleeves in I then put new wheel studs in. Unlike the bearing sleeves, these have to be 'pulled' in as opposed to pressed in. 

Everything was now looking good, so the hubs were then fitted to the brake discs. After giving everything a good clean with brake cleaner the assembled units were fitted to the car along with the brake callipers. 

The front wheels were added after this and then the car was finally taken off the axle stands and lowered to the ground. Considering I had decided to have a day off of working on cars and sit on the sofa doing bugger all, I had achieved quite a lot. I've still got to replace the wheel studs on the back wheels, but that's not urgent and can wait for another day. At least this car is now driveable again, that's a bonus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment