Tuesday 22 November 2022

Saturday 19th November - Engine back in.

 Good friend Richard Warr was coming down from Worcestershire today as we were taking part in a Club Triumph Rally on the Sunday. He was due to arrive around mid-morning and had also offered to help me put the engine back in the green Cortina. 

Due to the M40 being closed he didn't actually arrive at mine until gone 11am, but that was ok as it gave me time to do all of the preparation work before the engine went back in. After a quick cup of tea, we set to refitting the sump complete with new gaskets. With this all bolted up and tested for leaks we then lifted the engine back into the car (with the engine crane of course) and then started bolting in all the ancillaries. 

We refitted the fan and alternator, exhaust manifold, starter motor, fuel lines and water hoses etc. I then called it a day as I had discovered that the oil pump was an old cannister type with a paper oil filter. These are obsolete now, so I decided to upgrade to a more modern 'spin on filter' type oil filter. The problem with that is I would have to wait until Burton Power Products was open on Monday morning so I could buy one. We also never refitted the radiator or carburettor because I'll be fitting my recently purchased 'twin 40's once I get some new inlet manifold studs. (The ones on the engine were in very poor condition) The radiator was left off as this will give me more room when it comes to fitting the new oil pump. (The pic below is of the cannister type oil filter)

So, with no more to do, we refitted the bonnet, got cleaned up and went out for an Indian and some beers. Might as well make the most of it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment