Thursday 10 November 2022

Wednesday 9th November - New studs

 After fitting the new front hubs and studs on Sunday, I thought I would tackle the rears and fit new studs there as well. The rear has wheel spacers which I've been looking to do away with some time, but I've been having trouble getting the right studs. 

To do the job properly I removed the half shafts from the car and put them in my bench vice. I then knocked the old studs out and put the new studs in. I wasn't sure about these new studs because the shoulder looked too long to me, but I'd never know if I didn't try them. 



So, with the new studs fitted the half shafts were slid back into the axle and then the brake drums and wheels were added. My suspicions were confirmed as the shoulders are indeed too long and the wheel nut tighten against them before making full contact with the wheel. Meaning that the wheel nuts are tight, but the wheels are loose! 
To keep the car mobile, I removed the wheels again and re-fitted the wheel spacers that I am so desperate to get rid of. I then called it a day and went indoors to ring Retro Ford to discuss this issue with them. After a long conversation it looks like the manufacturer that makes the studs for them has changed the specification which is now creating this problem. (Apparently, I'm not the only person who has had this issue.) The call ended with them agreeing to find me a set of studs with a shorter shoulder and post them to me. How long that's going to take, I have no idea. So, for the time being I'm going to have to live with the wheel spacers. Bummer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment