After a very disappointing season regarding the events, I had spent the past week considering my options with my Triumph. To be honest, I have never had so much trouble with this car since converting it to Lucas fuel injection. Fourteen years now I have been doing these events and never had an issue whilst running on carburettors.
So far this year, I have had to withdraw from the Historic Counties Rally due to the injection system not running right, been recovered home from the Coast to Coast Rally, and for the first time ever, been recovered home and not completed the Round Britain Reliability Run.
There were also five other cars on the RBRR which suffered fuel injection problems, all with pump over heating problems. We all surmise that it's the modern fuels which are making the pumps run too hot and causing them to overheat. If that is the case, then this isn't a problem that's going to go away.
As a result of this, I'd spent the past week adding up the pro's and cons of Lucas fuel injection and decided to go back to carburettors. The car has never ran properly since it's been converted and all I've done is reduced my MPG and made the car very unreliable.
So today's mission was to remove the injection fuel tank and refit the standard tank. This took longer than I thought it would due to two of the captive nuts seizing. Once this was done, I then removed the Pi air filter, plenum and throttle bodies . Once I'd removed the plenum and air filter I could see that the water pump was leaking as well, so that's another job that'll have to fit in at some stage.
With these items removed I was able to re-fit the inlet manifold and carburettors. By the time I'd done this, it was gone 4pm and I'd been in the garage since 8am, so I decided to call it a day. I was pleased with my days work though and it felt good seeing the carburettors back on the car.