Friday 14 October 2022

Saturday 8th October - Front strut removal

 Today was going to be a busy day with the planned removal of the two front struts. (Or suspension legs if you prefer)

I was out in the garage quite early and I didn't want to start making too much noise just yet, so I finished another little job I had been preparing. 

Since I've had the car, it has had a 'Twin Cam' badge on the boot. Well, this looks ok, but it's just not right. The engine in the car isn't a twin cam, and I was starting to get tired of people asking me if it had a twin cam engine in it at car shows. 

The power plant that is in the car is actually a Mk2 Cortina 1600GT engine, so I bought, prepared and painted a 1600GT badge and put it where the twin cam badge was. It isn't perfect as it's only an experiment at the moment, but it's certainly more accurate than the badge that was on there. I think it looks quite good too. From a distance! 


With this and another small job complete, it was now gone 9am and I could start making a bit more noise. So, the car was jacked up, placed on axle stands and the process of removing both struts began. This can be quite a time-consuming affair as it isn't just the struts that have to come off, but the wheels, front springs, brake discs and hubs, brake callipers and brake pipes. (Oh, and the strut brace!)

I also had to be done by about lunch time as I had a guest coming round for the afternoon, so I ignored breakfast and just cracked on until I had done what I needed to do. Luckily, everything went to plan and I was finished by 1pm. 

The reason for removing the front struts was because I had recently bought a full coil over set complete with new shock absorber inserts and strut tops. The fitting of these though, would have to wait until tomorrow. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment