Thursday 27 October 2022

Saturday 22nd October. Front spring investigations.

 My first job Saturday morning was to take both front wheels off of the Green Cortina and put 10mm wheel spacers on to see if that would then move the springs and height adjusters away from the tyres. it did cure the problem, but I don't like using wheel spacers and extended studs, so this wasn't an option for me. I did give me a chance as well to look at the damage to the two front tyres and confirm my fears that they were ruined. More expense! You can also see where they tyres have polished the adjusters and taken the paint off of the spring. 



The blue Cortina also has coil overs fitted, so I then took a front wheel off of that in order to see what was different as I don't have this problem with that car. I discovered that the springs on the blue car are much shorter, and the adjusters sit much higher up the strut so that they clear the wheel much better. (See below)


I then had a break from the Fords and completed a couple of jobs on my daily driver Renault Clio. It had passed its MOT recently but got a couple of advisories that needed addressing. They were the nearside track rod end, the rear exhaust mount. These went very easily, and I also replaced a rear number plate light bulb while I was at it. 
I then decided to get stuck into the issue with the Green Cortina. I wasn't looking forward to this as I thought I would have to remove the entire front struts, and I know how long this had taken me a few weeks back when I originally fitted them. However, to my surprise and elation all I had to do was put the car up on axle stands, undo both of the inserts and lower them, and then move the struts into a position where I was able to remove the top mounts and pull the springs out. With the springs removed I then put them in the car ready for a trip to Gaz on Monday morning to see what they could do for me. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment