Thursday 4 May 2023

Monday 1st May. Overdue test drive!

 I was awake early this morning and the sun was shining, so I decided to take the Green four door Cortina for a long overdue test drive. The problem when you have too many cars like I do is that you struggle to find time to drive them all. 

I took a drive over to Wallasea Island Marina and managed to get some good pics before the sun disappeared. 


The drive was good in general, but I still have a bit of a knock on the nearside rear which I think could be the exhaust. The brakes still felt a tad spongy and the throttle decided to start sticking open on the way home. 

So, once home the car resumed what seems to be its natural position in the garage (Wheels off, up on axle stands) 

I then inspected the brake lines on the rear and found that one of them was showing signs of leakage. I tightened it up, but then left it for a few hours with the brake pedal pressed down to see if it was still leaking.
While waiting for this, I looked at my 'sticking throttle' issue. This turned out to be another 'bodge'. (I've found plenty on this car!)
Instead of using the correct assembly for the throttle cable, somebody had made up a plate with a huge nut and bolt going through it, and then drilled through the pair of them together to put the cable adjuster through. The problem was, they hadn't even drilled through it straight which left the bolt with a massive cut out in the side. I will be looking to make a more professional looking item, so I can get this 'mash up' off of the car, so that the throttle will no longer stick open. Watch this space! 


No comments:

Post a Comment