Sunday 14 May 2023

Saturday 13th May. Two jobs to do....but only one succeeded!

 Not a lot to do today unfortunately. I'm at the stage where I'm waiting for parts to be refurbished so I can fit them back on the respective cars. (The gearbox for the Zetec Cortina and the cylinder head for the Triumph)

One of the jobs I needed to do was to change rear wheels on the Zetec Cortina. I had never removed the rear hub caps on this car until last weekend and when I did, I discovered the Wheels were what's known as 'JBW Smoothies'. These are supposed to be similar to the Lotus Cortina steel wheels, only they aren't. They don't have the correct centre's and are, in fact, completely smooth. (See below.) 

I hate these wheels with a passion and think they just look awful. So, I ordered two 13 x 6J Cortina wheels from Retro Ford and fitted these instead. They are a much better looking wheel and they have the centres that the original wheels have. I'm planning to run the car without hub caps, so the wheels have got to look right. (As below) So an hour or so with my tyre machine, and the job was done. 
The next job was to re-fit the clutch onto the Zetec Cortina. I had removed it while the gearbox was out so I could carry out an inspection and decided whether to retain or replace. The inspection showed that there was no wear and that it has plenty of life left in it, so it could be refitted. I had borrowed a Cortina gearbox first motion shaft from my friend Keith to use as a clutch alignment tool, but it wouldn't fit in the back of the crank, so obviously the Zetec spigot bearing is a different size to the Cortina. I will have to look for a different tool that fits. So, with not being able to refit the clutch, that was the end of my day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment