Wednesday 29 November 2023

Sunday November 19th - Cleaning out the parts washer.

 After stripping an engine down and cleaning all of its internals in my parts washer, it had left it with lots of gunge and old burnt engine oil in it, so I decided it needed a good clean. The engine that I had been stripping had been seriously over heated at some point in its life and the oil had turned to a thick black paste. Most of which was now lying in the bottom of the parts washer. 

I purchased some brake cleaner and set about my task. The first thing was to undo the drain plug, but on undoing it nothing came out. It was obviously blocked up with the gunge, so I stabbed a screwdriver through the hole and cleared the blockage so it could pour out. 

I had to use several containers to get it fully drained and had to scrape out a lot of gunge that had settled in the bottom. With the worst part of it gone, I used about half a gallon of brake cleaner and got through about ten rags.

Eventually though, it was all looking nice and clean again and I was pleased with my mornings work. I just need to buy some jeizer now so I can re-fill it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment