Sunday 5 February 2023

Saturday 4th February. Clutch Replacement

 The clutch that I'd ordered from The Cortina Mk1 Owners Club arrived on Thursday evening, so I was all set to get it fitted and get the engine back in this morning.

Luckily the weather was quite mild and I was in the garage at the bright and early time of 08.30. The first job was to fit the clutch to the flywheel which was easy enough. I had borrowed a clutch alignment tool that had been made out of a first motion shaft from a Cortina gearbox, so that saved a lot of time and inconvenience. I also replaced the thrust bearing, but this was a pain in the arse and took far longer than expected. I then started work on lifting the engine in, but this was a pig to line up as well and it even got to the stage where I turned my back on it and went indoors for a cup of coffee as my frustration had put me into swearing mode!

After some calming caffeine I then tried again and this time the engine lined up on the splines and slotted in first time! I gradually went through all the other bits that needed to be bolted on or connected up and by lunchtime the engine was in properly and running. A bit of shunting up and down in the garage showed that the clutch was working as it should as well. Good news. 

I then refitted the radiator and the bonnet and then called it a day with this car.

My Green Cortina was the center of attention next as the new rocker cover that I ordered from Burton Power Products last November had finally arrived. (It arrived the day after the clutch actually)

With a new gasket fitted as well the rocker cover was installed and I have to say look's really good. In fact it's almost a shame to have to have the plug leads and strut brace running over the top of it. 
 The strut brace had been sitting in the boot for months now. I hadn't bothered fitting it because I'd been waiting for the rocker cover to turn up, so now it had I was able to put it back on. With the plug leads reconnected and the strut brace now on it was time to call it a day as it was 2.30pm and I hadn't eaten all day. A good days work though and I had achieved everything I wanted to. 






No comments:

Post a Comment