Saturday 10 June 2023

Wednesday 7th June. A trip up t'north!

 Good friend Dave Harvey and I had concocted a plan to get some work done on the newly injected Triumph Mk1 saloon. So, Wednesday morning saw me heading north up the M1 and heading to Dave's place in Derby to spend a few days up there and hopefully sort this damn car out. 

The drive up there was plain sailing until I reached the M1/M6 split when the overhead gantry signs started warning of long delays on the M1 at Junction 23A and 24. Of course they would, that's both of the the two junctions that I could have come off at to get to Dave's. I was also getting warnings of a 20 minute delay after Junction 23. Typical!

So, I pulled into Leicester Forest services and gave Dave a ring and explained the situation. He advised me to leave the M1 at junction 22 and head toward Coalville and then to Ashby and come into Derby from that side. I did this (along with lots of other people with the same idea) and eventually arrived at 13.30. Three and a half hours after I left leigh On Sea!

It turns out the reason for the delays was that the Download Festival at Donning park was celebrating its 20th Anniversary and had made it a five day event, starting on the Thursday. This traffic would get a lot worse over the next few days with reports of it taking people EIGHT HOURS to get in, traffic being grid locked in the area and people missing flights at the nearby East Midlands airport. The locals were not happy!

Anyway, after a quick cuppa, we decided to make a start to try and get ahead of ourselves and within a couple of hours, we had removed the cylinder head. 

That was enough for today. It was time for a wash up, a chinese takeaway, and few beers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment