Wednesday 21 June 2023

Sunday 18th June. Gearbox refitting.

 The previous Wednesday, I had made a trip to Baldock in Hertfordshire to collect my newly rebuilt gearbox. (Via a diversion to Cheshunt to take Dave Maton's battery back.)

Seeing as I had nothing better to do today I decided to fit it back into the Zetec Cortina. I started early as I wanted to try and at least get it in the car before the garage became too hot. It did put up a bit of a fight, I have to say, but eventually it went in. I have to say as well, my new transmission jack worked a treat and made the job a lot easier. Money well spent!

I then had an issue with the starter motor. I couldn't fit it through the gap between the gearbox and the engine mounting to fit it into the bellhousing. Because there is very little room in the engine bay it must need to go in a certain way to fit. After about an hour, I had lost patience and the garage was becoming hot, so I decided to leave it for another day. At least the gearbox is in place, so that was some kind of success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment