Wednesday 21 June 2023

Saturday 17th June - Fuel pump and cutting out issues

 I had taken the car to work on Friday to give it another test run. I had no problems going to work, but on the way home the Lucas fuel pump in the boot started making some weird and wonderful noises. The car also started jerking violently as if someone was turning the ignition switch off and then back on again very quickly. Luckily I managed to get back home.

So, todays task was to change the Lucas fuel pump for starters and then see where we were. Luckily I still had Richard Warr's refurbished pump in my garage from when he was down at mine last and left it here by mistake. After gaining permission, I fitted it to my car so I could get my one sorted out. (I'll be sending my one to KMI Petrol Injection for rebuilding)

After fitting the fuel pump, Gavin and I took a drive out to the sticks to road test the car. We found that it still had a cutting out issue at high revs initially, but then on the drive back, it started doing what it had been doing on the Friday night. (This car is really testing me at the moment!) By the time we got back it had started raining, so the car was put away and left. 
Gavin rang me later that night to tell me to look up on Google the symptoms of an ignition coil breaking down as they were very similar to what I was experiencing. he was right, it certainly matched up with what I was getting. I would need to find some spare coils and give one a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment