Tuesday 27 June 2023

Monday 26th June - Fuel Pump investigations.

 While trying to cure my Triumph issues at various different times on the event on the Sunday, we had all suspected the Lucas fuel to be faulty even though it had only been refurbished last year. (It was on loan from Richard Warr, as my one had been sent off to KMI petrol injection services for rebuild)

So the first thing to do was put a pressure gauge in-line to see what kind of pressure the pump was providing. The system needs around 105 psi  to allow the car to run and drive as it should. With the pressure gauge fitted I let the car idle for 5 minutes. 


As you can see in the above video, the pressure is only around 100psi and it's dipping in places as well. So, I left it running longer.........


Wow! As you can see, after 10 minutes, it's now seriously dipping in pressure. This will be enough to close the injectors and give the car the impression of cutting out. Which is exactly what it was doing. A lot!

The fact that it was dipping so badly though led me to wonder if there was a problem with the PRV. (pressure relief valve) Luckily, I had another one that I could try. So I fitted the other PRV and ran the car for 20 minutes.

The new PRV seemed to change the whole situation, so it must be the PRV causing the issues, not the fuel pump. Just my bad luck that I didn't take the spare one with me. Lesson learned!

While the car was on the back of the AA truck, the driver noticed that my nearside rear tyre was badly worn on the inside edge. This is really odd, because nothing was rubbing or getting caught on it and it hasn't worn all the way round, just in a couple of places. Rather than normal wear and tear, I think this is just a faulty carcass that has worn really unevenly. Oh well, time for a new tyre then. 

As soon as I get time I will take the Triumph out for a test drive, but I'm pretty sure that I have now finally got to the bottom of my long term issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment