Saturday, 26 February 2011
Friday, 25 February 2011
With the thought of having to drive this car up onto a trailer without it rolling off the other end and into the back of my mates Jeep that I'm borrowing, it was decided it was best to get some brakes on it. The front callipers had seized anyway as well as the rear wheel cylinders, plus the shoes and pads were knackered, so the whole lot have been replaced.
My trusty mate Dave came round to go on pedal pumping duties while I lay underneath opening bleed nipples and getting sprayed in brake fluid! (It wasn't that hard to get Dave round actually, I just told him that I needed him for something that involved pumping and nipples- he was round like a shot!)
I then let Dave have a play with the air gun to tighten the wheels nuts up and he whizzed round the car pretending to be a formula one mechanic while singing 'you can't get better than a quick fit fitter'. Silly sod!
Because this car has been up on axle stands for so long, I'd forgotten how low it actually is! I had to talk to it very nicely to let me have my trolley jack back after lowering it down at the front and rear! I can see a few problems already when it comes to loading it onto a car trailer because of its 'lowness'!
Thursday, 10 February 2011
Just need to find some wheel nuts now so I can get them on the car.
Tuesday, 8 February 2011
I'll need to get some brakes sorted out on it first, otherwise he'll drive it into his garage and come straight out the other side! He wont like that!
At least with this being done by him, I now know that it will speed up the progress tenfold (he has more spare time than me!) and this car should now be ready for the 'ten counties in five days' rally in September. Who Knows, it may even be ready for the Scottish Highlands rally in June? Here's hoping!
With this car now put to one side, I concentrated on the rally car. The MOT is due in three weeks time and I know that I needed to repair a small hole in the floor and an out rigger. Funny how these jobs aways sound easy and simple, but always turn into bigger things once once started.
First job was to cut the out rigger off. This was no problem and I found that once I started scraping off all the underseal, the out rigger was like Swiss cheese anyway! I continued to cut this piece off and then found.....you guessed it! More holes! It wasn't too bad actually, just one in the side of the chassis rail and one across the floor pan.
Looks like a week of cutting, grinding and preparing, before welding commences at the weekend! Oh deep joy! I love old cars!
How many layers can you see? How many times had this been plated??????
I did indeed get it finished, and as soon as I had I jumped into a hot shower so I could get my skin back to the pinkish colour it should be rather than the icy blue it had turned.
The test drive was over to Benfleet to get some more gas for the space heater and turned out to be very successful! No more sticking throttle issues! Yay!!
Saturday afternoon was spent having a massive clear out of my garage and by tea time I had a lot more room to work in and an estate car full up with junk and general shite! Another test drive to the tip Sunday morning then!
I started late on the Sunday on the grounds of sheer laziness (and the thought of going out in the cold again) so all I managed to do was go to the tip and fit a new weather strip on the off side rear door of the estate. This turned out to be one hell of a poxy job that ended up taking three hours!
So much for not wanting to be out in the cold for long!