Sunday 2 July 2023

Saturday 1st July - Fuel tank change for the Triumph

When I converted the Triumph to Pi, The only fuel tank I could find was a MK1 Pi tank that didn't have an internal swirl pot like the Mk2 Triumph has. I'd had to use the original Mk1 Pi set up which has the external swirl pot. It does the job, but it looks quite untidy and creates quite a bit of extra pipe work. (See below)

Luckily a Mk2 Pi fuel tank had recently come up for sale at a good price, so I snapped it up and promptly sent it away to be chemically cleaned. With the tank returned I then started the process of removing the existing one.
I had wanted to use this car for work a couple of times to run the fuel level down. It still had half a tank of fuel in from the previous weekend when we broke down. The problem was the car still wasn't behaving itself, so I never had the confidence to run it to work. So I had to drain the tank down which took ages. I reckon there was still about eight gallons left it. I used the petrol from it to fill the Zetec Cortina up and have still got three gallons left in cans. With this finally done I was able to remove the tank.
The Mk2 tank was prepared and refitted with the sender unit and all the other bits that I'd had to remove when it was chemically cleaned and to my surprise it fitted in really easily. These can be a bit of a ball ache to fit sometimes, but luckily and unusually, it slotted in first time. 
I then fitted the Mk2 fuel pump bracket and the PRV and readjusted all of the pipework. I've still got to have a couple of new pipes made up just to neaten it up a bit more, but for the time being, it's a lot better than it was. I really need to paint the boot floor as well, but that can wait until the job is finished properly and I know that the new system is leak free. 



No comments:

Post a Comment