Thursday 24 August 2023

Monday 21st August - Time to move one on.

 My main issue for a long time has been owning four classic cars, but only having space to store three of them. Due to this, one car has always been away in storage either near Suffolk, or, more recently, on my next door neighbour's drive.

It always been a nuisance when it comes to wanting to use the one that's in storage, so I decided to sell one. This was a hard decision and I spent a good couple of months thinking about what one should be sacrificed. I finally decided that the Cortina Mk1 estate would be the one to go. It's a lovely car in every way, but as daft as it sounds, it's just too original. I like cars that I can play with and modify and make them go faster and handle better. The Cortina estate has obviously been treasured and loved all of its life and I just couldn't bring myself to alter it. Cars as original as this don't come up very often. 

After a couple of weeks of advertising, I was contacted by the Chairman of the Cortina Mk1 Owners Club who showed an interest. After a bit of bartering a deal was reached and he made arrangements to collect. The car was owned at one point by the guy that used to be the spares coordinator of the Mk1 Owners Club and apparently was very good friends with the chairman. So it was nice that it was going to someone who knew its history and also someone that would look after it. 

The plan was for him to be at mine at 11am, so we could do the deal before I had to leave for work, but unfortunately he was held up by an accident and couldn't get here before I left. 
I had no choice but to park the car on my neighbours drive and leave the keys and paperwork with him to give to the new owner. 
Apparently the new owner was very pleased with the car and after having fish and chips on Southend  seafront he then drove the car back home to Yorkshire.
Quite ironic really that he managed to drive the car 210 miles home to Yorkshire without a single issue, but I can't even get the Zetec Cortina 5 miles down the road to Battlesbridge!
I was sad to see it go, but it was the right decision to make. As all my friends have said......'It's not really you that car'. 




No comments:

Post a Comment