Friday 12 April 2024

Wednesday 10th April. Back to the starter motor issues!

After waiting over a week for the new starter solenoid to arrive I was finally able to get it fitted and see if it cured the problems with the new starter motor. To my dismay it didn't 

I got in touch with the supplier again who then asked me to record some measurements. I had to measure the distance of the trigger cog on the starter motor while retracted and also with the trigger cog while projected. I then had to measure from the ring gear on the flywheel to the mounting face of the starter motor on the engine block. I also had to count the amount of teeth on the ring gear. 

Counting the teeth would have been impossible to do on my own, but luckily Colin Wake had stopped by for a cuppa, so he was pressed ganged into action and made to turn the engine over by hand while I laid underneath and counted the teeth. 

The following measurements were recorded, (I don't expect anyone to understand it!) and supplied to the manufacturer.

The upshot of it all is that the starter motor was returned to the supplier so that he can modify it to work properly with the set up I have on the car. (1600 Xflow engine and Ford Sierra Type 9 5 speed gearbox) Unfortunately this will take a couple of weeks, so I refitted the original inertia starter motor as I need to keep the car mobile at present. 


No comments:

Post a Comment