Thursday 24 October 2024

Wednesday 23rd October - The Triumph is back on two legs again!

 With the arrival of a replacement suspension leg, I was able to build all the supporting bits up and get the car reassembled and back on its wheels. 

I had already prepared the supporting bits and made them either nice and clean, or all greased up depending on what they were. I clamped the suspension leg in the workbench vice and used my spring compressors to compress the spring before fitting the insert, a new gaiter and then the spring cup and the roller top bearing. Once this was all assembled I was able to remove the spring compressors.

I then had the usual fight of refitting the suspension leg to the hub and inner wing. I find it usually puts up a bit of resistance, but as long as you make sure you disconnect the track rod end, it's not too bad. (The track rod end, if connected, stops the hub from reaching the angle it needs to be to mate with the suspension leg.)

With this all back together, I put the wheel back on, lowered the car onto the ground and performed a 'bounce' test. (Pushing up and down on the front wing) I'm pleased to report that distinct lack of 'clonking' noise means that I had cured the problem. Another job off the list before it goes up for sale! 



No comments:

Post a Comment