Saturday 12 October 2024

Saturday 5th October - Rough running

 After putting the engine back in the Cortina I was subjected to it not wanting to run right for some reason. While it was out of the car and sitting on the garage floor, It had fallen over and smashed the distributor cap and bent the oil pressure switch as well. 

I bought a replacement distributor cap, but fitting this made little difference. Good friends Gavin and Peter were both visiting this morning, so they both chipped in with ideas as to why this damn car wouldn't run right. 

Whilst investigating we quickly decided that ignition problems were the cause here, which was strange as this engine was running fine when it was removed and I hadn't disturbed any of the ignition system while it was out. 

What we did discover was that whoever had fitted the distributor before I owned the car, had fitted it wrongly and had set the timing 180 degrees out. After a couple of hours messing about and trying different things, I decided to call it a day and order some new spark plug leads and a new ignition coil as well. For some reason it didn't want to spark properly and just didn't want to run properly either. 

While I had some help present I decided to refit the bonnet as its a lot easier with two people doing it than my trying to do it alone. So at least the car was looking complete again. Investigation continues!



No comments:

Post a Comment