Wednesday 17 July 2024

Sunday 14th July - Orsett Classic Car Show

I had been having noisy fuel pump issues with my Zetec Cortina before this show, but had managed to resolve the issue, and so decided to give it a run out. 

The weather was  looking good, so I set off early Sunday morning with my flask of coffee ready to have a nice relaxing day. I arrived at the showground around 9am and it was already looking very busy. 

There were some lovely cars there, although the Triumph saloons were very thin on the ground, (none!) but there were some nice Mk1 Cortina's there. Pick of the bunch was a beautiful Red 2 door GT which looked absolutely fantastic. 



There was also a car there that even as a kid, I thought that Ford's should have built, but it never happened. I always felt that Ford's should have built a Lotus Anglia to partner the Mk1 Lotus Cortina. The Anglia was lighter than the Cortina, so it would have made a fantastic race car and rally car. In fact, when Colin Chapman first trialled the Lotus twin cam engine in a production car, it was an Anglia that they used. Jim Clark use to use it to get from Lotus cars in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire to his home in Scotland and back!


The Lotus colours on the Anglia just look so right as well. I have to say though, I don't like the banded wheels on this car and think the standard Lotus wheels would look much better, but hey, it's not my car so it's not my choice. 

It was a great show, but by 3pm I was feeling a bit knackered as I had had a busy day out on the Saturday as well, so I left for home. I had a great drive home in the Zetec Cortina and now that I've resolved its noisy pump issue, it's a pleasure to drive. It certainly keeps up with modern traffic as a few people on the A13 found out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment