Wednesday 3 July 2024

Saturday 29th June - A new horn for the Zetec.

 Since I've had the Zetec Cortina, the horn hasn't been very loud. I decided to buy a new one and set about fitting it. I had a good look around the engine bay trying to find the old one so I could remove it. It wasn't on the standard horn bracket on the inner wing, or indeed anywhere in the engine bay. 

I popped next door and asked my neighbour to come into my garage and hold his hand on the car hooter, so I could locate where the noise was coming from. It turns out someone had located it up inside the nearside front wing! (Where it could catch all the rain water, dirt and mud!) 

Luckily, I was able to turn the steering on full lock and able to get to the nuts and bolts so I could remove it. I then had the slight problem of trying to find a space in the engine bay for the new one. The twin cam Zetec engine fills the engine bay somewhat, so there isn't a lot of free space. 

I managed to find a spot on the nearside inner wing that seemed suitable and set about fitting it and altering the wiring for it. In the pic below, it looks very close the exhaust downpipes, but in reality, its nowhere near it. The new horn is a vast improvement on the old one. At least other cars will be able to hear me now!



No comments:

Post a Comment