Wednesday 17 July 2024

Thursday July 11th- 500 Miles running in completed-As near as damn it!

The previous Sunday I had a trip to Letchworth planned and had planned to use the Triumph so that I could finish running in the new engine. However, when it came to getting the Triumph out of the garage and moving the other cars around, it was peeing down with rain, so that scuppered that plan.

I had only racked up 375 running in miles so far and was 125 short. I managed to get home from work at a decent hour tonight, so after waiting for the traffic to die down a bit, I filled the Triumph up with petrol and set out to get some more miles on her. 

I left mine at Leigh on Sea, then headed across the A130 towards Chelmsford before taking the A414 to Harlow. I then joined the M11 and headed north. I was going to head up to junction 9 and make for Haverhill before working my way back down through Halstead and Braintree.  The problem was that there was an accident after junction 8 and the traffic looked solid. So, I came off at the Stansted turn off and took the A120 towards Colchester.

Once I reached Colchester I carried on across to Braintree and joined the A12 eastbound and then exited at the A120 for Harwich. I travelled along the A120 to as far as Frating and then decided that that was enough for one night and started making my way home. 

By the time I got home, my trip meter had risen from 375 to 494, so I had covered 119 miles since being out, which is a fair chunk of mileage for an evening drive!

It's also close enough to the 500 miles required to run an engine in, so I can now set about changing the engine oil and filter and re-torque the cylinder head.

I'll need to get this done soon though as I have a Scottish Rally booked for the end of the month. All in all I was quite pleased with my nights work as I had never intended to make up the shortfall in mileage all in one go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment