Wednesday 3 July 2024

Sunday 30th June - First ride in my dream car!

 Whenever anyone has ever asked me what my dream car is, I have always answered 'A Lotus Mk1 Cortina'. It stems from my childhood when our next door neighbours daughter was going out with a guy called John who used to own one. 

When he came round to pick her up, I could hear him coming from two streets away and would always have my nose pressed up against the window by the time he pulled up outside. I'd then sit and wait for it to start up again so I could watch it and hear it roar off into the distance when they were going out. I was devastated when he chopped it in for a 3 litre Capri! 

Anyway, good friend Keith Halstead (who owns a Mk1 Lotus Cortina) was going to the Lawns classic car show at Rochford, so I managed to persuade him to let me go with him as a passenger. This would be my first ever ride in my dream car and I was really looking forward to it. 

So, Sunday morning at 7.45am I arrived at Keith's house. The car was already out on the drive and looked fantastic. Keith's car hasn't got the 'Lotus' Sherwood green flash down the side as it was originally a police car for the Sussex constabulary. 

We set off for the Lawns and Keith gave the car a couple of blasts so that I could experience the Lotus Cortina noise. What a fantastic sound these cars make. 

On arrival at the Lawns we came across another three Lotus Mk1 Cortina's, as well as a Mk1 with a Honda S2000 engine, a Mk1 with a Vtec engine, and another Mk1 with a Zetec engine in. There was also a very nice 2 door GT in Lotus colours as well. 

It was a great day, but by 12pm, the black clouds and rain settled in and Keith didn't want to wait for the field to become a bog and risk not being able to get out, so we made a move. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my Lotus experience, but I have to say, I think my Zetec Cortina is quicker and also drives nicer. So as a result, my desire to own one of these classic prestigious cars isn't as strong as it once was. It would still be nice to own one, but not to the point of emptying my bank accounts and getting in debt for. A good example Lotus Cortina  will set you back around £70 to £80K, which is colossal money for a Cortina. Avoiding the many re-shells and fakes out there is a big minefield as well. 

It was a very good day out though even if it was cut short by the weather! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment