An additional day off due to Easter saw work commence on the Rally Car. The Scottish Highlands Rally is less than two months away and I need to replace a rusty door and a leaking petrol tank!
The replacement door to be fitted was completely bare, so all of the components and trim from the original door needed transferring. The replacement door is also the wrong colour, but the car will be going for spraying next weekend so its not an issue. In readiness of the aforementioned painting, I removed some of the other trim as well.
The removal of the petrol tank was a bit more of a hassle, mainly because there still over half a tankful in it! Siphoning some of it out made it light enough to lift the tank out and also left the estate nearly full! As soon as I removed the rear cover where the tank is, there was evidence that it had definitely been leaking.
(see pic below-As you can see, the petrol has been running onto the panel below)
While the weather was hot and the sun was shining I decided to give the estate a good wash and hoover out. I also repaired the off side rear door, (which wouldn't lock) and changed the battery and fitted the proper battery clamps. This car went to Carlow Engineering during the week and had its carburettors tuned and balanced. I have to say, they did a fantastic job for a very good price and I was very impressed. So much so that I will be sending the Rally car there for a tune up before the Scottish rally too!