Friday 7 April 2023

Friday 7th April - Good Friday-In more ways than one.

 So, more jobs to knock off the list today, but not many due to my successful day yesterday. The first thing was to tidy the garage a bit. I cant stand working around mess and I had left it messy yesterday because I was knackered.

With the garage tidier, I then removed the air filter and plenum so that I could get to the throttle return spring. The 6-3-1 manifold had stopped the original spring from locating in the correct place. So after some head scratching, I decided to remove the Plenum mounting bracket and drilled a small hole in it. This then allowed the spring to do its job without coming into contact with the manifold like it was before. To be honest, the spring could do with being a bit longer and it's already tensioned, but it's better than it was and it will do the job for now. 

While the sun was shining and it was quite warm, I then took a break from the Triumph and painted a spare scuttle panel for the Zetec Cortina. The original one is with the painter at present while he tries to get a colour match so he can repair the front wing.
I did find some paperwork in the vehicle history folder that I got with the car that indicated that the blue was 'Azzuro Gulf' which turns out to be the Blue used on the Ford GT40 race cars that were in the Gulf Oils livery. 
So, this discovery has now made me consider other options regarding the cars paint scheme. I'm considering having an Orange stripe down the side and also having the roof orange too. With this in mind I painted the scuttle panel Orange to see how the Blue and Orange would look together. The jury is out at present, so I will give it a lot of thought before I commit. (Especially as the two quotes I've had for painting and vinyl wrapping have both been £750 plus vat!)
So back to the Triumph. I had been unhappy with how untidy the fuel pump, swirl pot, PRV etc. looked in the boot. I was also worried about things in the boot moving around and knocking high pressure fuel lines off while cornering. 

I set about building a 'boot board' to cover it all over. I'm not normally good at this type of thing, but I have to say I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I've made it so that it's not a permanent fixture and can just be lifted out of the way if ever I should have to make repairs in that area. I've also drilled some air vent holes in the top of it so if ever the pump runs hot at any time it can dispel the hot air. All in all, another successful day. I think I could do with a black boot carpet though! Or a new blue one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment