Sunday, 28 August 2011

Friday 26th August- Time to cool down!

With the thought of Gertie having do some 'mountaineering' in the form of tackling 21 Alpine passes on the impending 10CR run, I decided that it might be a good idea to change the thermostat. I have never had the car overheat, but the temperature gauge has always read just above half way.
So, Friday night after work I bit the bullet and carefully removed the thermostat housing bolts. Luckily, neither of them sheared off (as they normally do) and the thermostat was soon removed. As you can see from the pic below, it wasn't a pretty sight!
However, it was still working, so it was shoved in the box that the new one came in and will be taken along as a back up. I also noticed when I started doing the job that the water level was was quite low, so a quick inspection once the car was running again revealed a few leaking hose clips that were promptly tightened and put right. The next task will be a good test drive and make sure all is well. Once the engine is warm from the test drive I will also adjust the valve clearances one more time before the trip across the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment