Friday 25 February 2011

Thursday Feb 24th. We have brakes again!

After a successful night of adjusting and bleeding brakes, the yellow car can now stop as well as go. It was decided that due to the amount of rust discovered behind the sills on this car that the skill level involved was just too much for a novice welder like me. The job has been farmed out to a mate of mine in  Norfolk and the car will be transported up there by trailer this weekend.
With the thought of having to drive this car up onto a trailer without it rolling off the other end and into the back of my mates Jeep that I'm borrowing,  it was decided it was best to get some brakes on it. The front callipers had seized anyway as well as the rear wheel cylinders, plus the shoes and pads were knackered, so the whole lot have been replaced.
My trusty mate Dave came round to go on pedal pumping duties while I lay underneath opening bleed nipples and getting sprayed in brake fluid! (It wasn't that hard to get Dave round actually, I just told him that I  needed him for something that involved pumping and nipples- he was round like a shot!)
I then let Dave have a play with the air gun to tighten the wheels nuts up and he whizzed round the car pretending to be a formula one mechanic while singing 'you can't get better than a quick fit fitter'. Silly sod!
Because this car has been up on axle stands for so long, I'd forgotten how low it actually is! I had to talk to it very nicely to let me have my trolley jack back after lowering it down at the front and rear! I can see a few problems already when it comes to loading it onto a car trailer because of its 'lowness'!

No comments:

Post a Comment