Tuesday 17 September 2024

Saturday 14th September - A busy day!

 Before I went off galavanting round Europe in the Triumph, I had parked the Green Cortina in the garage ready to start work on my return. My first priority was to replace both ball joints, so that I didn't have a repeat performance of what happened with the Blue Cortina a couple of years ago. (See below)

With the original ball joints now being nearly 60 years old and very probably never replaced, I made the decision to replace them before they sheared through wear and tear. It can be an awkward job, but on this occasion, it wasn't too terrible and I had them both done by 10.30am. You can see the difference between old and new below. 

With this job completed and it still being fairly early, I decided to crack on with the second phase of my plan which was to remove the engine. My sump gasket has been leaking for some time, so it needed to be addressed. The sump gasket can't replaced with the engine in the car, well not properly anyway, so it had to come out. Unfortunately, I had a mishap when removing the engine and one of the engine studs I had the lifting strop on then snapped which caused the engine to tilt and drop to the floor, which then damaged the clutch pressure plate. Bloody annoying! 

Anyhow, the main objective had to remove the engine, which I had now achieved, so I now called it a day and went inside for some well deserved lunch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment