Sunday 26 February 2023

Saturday 25th February. Front suspension re-visited.

Another cold day and another day playing musical cars. I had to get all three Cortina's out to get photos for my insurance renewal.  Whilst doing this I also decided to put the newly painted wheels on the estate. I think it look good. It's certainly given it a more 'sporty look'. 

The Green Cortina was then moved into the garage for further work. I haven't really been happy with it since fitting the alloy front hubs. They have a 10mm offset and make the front wheels stick out wider than the rears. You can see in the pic below how much further they stand out compared to a normal hub.
Now, ideally I'd like to fit my original hubs but I have a problem with that in that one of the holes for the studs has lost all of its splines, so the stud wont stay tight in the hole. This means I wouldn't be able to tighten the wheel nut, or if I could, probably wouldn't be get it undone again. So for the time being, I'm unsure hot to get round this problem. It's either find another hub (Which are rare because they are GT ones) or look at having the stud welded into the stud hole. (I'm not happy with this idea I have to say)

While I had the car jacked up I decided to replace the front springs. I currently have 8 inch springs with 'assisters' fitted, but I've never been happy with these either, so on Monday I purchased a pair of 9 inch springs from Gaz shocks at Basildon. 
I managed to get the driver side done, but by then it was 3pm and my nice warm house and some lunch was calling, so I called it a day. I can't really progress until I get the hubs sorted anyway, so there's no rush on this job. 





No comments:

Post a Comment