Sunday 19 February 2023

Saturday 18th February. Various Jobs!

Today was the day that I needed to play musical cars so I could get the estate out of the garage at long last and get the Zetec two door in. 

Before moving the estate I needed to adjust the clutch. Since fitting the new clutch the pedal had been too high. With this done, I then had to shunt all three cars around to get them in the right position. 

Whilst I had access to the Green Cortina, I jacked it up to adjust the rear shock absorbers to give it a softer ride. It's still banging and rattling on the back end, but I think this is the exhaust again. It also feels like the brake servo isn't working as well, so this will be investigated soon. 
I then moved the two door Cortina into the garage and got it up on axle stands ready to do some work. After the ball joint sheared on the drivers side, I wanted to remove the nearside and check that one out as well. 
With the ball joint assembly removed I then disassembled all the parts and checked them thoroughly. I did have a spare complete ball joint assembly, but that was for the drivers side. After checking the existing ball joint itself, it looked a bit dubious to me, so I stripped the new assembly down and robbed the ball joint out of that. 

This was a job that I had wanted to do for some time, as I had been put off driving the car since the offside ball joint near disaster last year. The problem was, other cars being stuck in that garage had prevented me from doing so, so I was pleased to finally get it done. My next job on this car is to get the oil pressure gauge working and bleed the slave cylinder as I think it has air in it. 

On a different note, I had been painting a set of wheels nearly every morning this week for the estate. I had a seen a Cortina Mk1 saloon for sale recently in exactly the same colours as my estate. It had Ford Rostyle wheels fitted and they looked really good. I tried one on my estate and thought it looked good as well, so I managed to buy a set that needed restoring.
I'm looking forward to putting them on the car, but I need some centre caps and chrome wheel nuts for it to look the part. As soon as I can find these, the wheels will be fitted. 










No comments:

Post a Comment