Thursday 27 October 2022

Monday 24th October - A trip to Gaz!

 My first action on Monday morning was to make a phone call to Retro Ford to discuss a leak I had found on one of the adjustable rear shock absorbers I had bought off of them recently. Chris at Retro Ford was helpful and offered to change the item no problem. Retro Ford buy these items from Gaz at Basildon, so instead of me posting it back to Retro Ford, then them posting it to Gaz who would then repair it and post it back to him for him to post it back to me, it was agreed that, as I was going to Gaz this morning anyway, I would take it with me this morning and he would ring them and tell them to go ahead and repair or replace. 

I then had to quickly go out to the garage to remove the offending item as I had forgotten to do this at the weekend. (I actually removed both shocks so Gaz could inspect the other one as well)

On arrival at Gaz I handed the shocks over where they were taken to the workshop to be addressed straight away. (Impressive!) I then spoke to the main man there who advised me to try a set of 8-inch, 200 lb rated springs instead of the 12-inch, 160 lb springs that had been fitted. He also provided a set of 'helpers'. These are very small spring inserts with a low poundage. The reason for this was so that if the 8-inch springs are too short, I can fit the helpers which would then bring them up to 9-inch. Luckily, he had all these items in stock and because I had had the inconvenience of having to take the shocks back off and bring them back, he did the springs for a very good price! They also repaired the leaky shock absorber while I was there. Very good service indeed!  The normal lead time for springs is about four weeks, so I was resigned to the car being off the road for a month. 

 The pic below is an original 12-inch spring, a new 8-inch spring, and a 'helper'. I can't wait for the weekend now, so I can put everything back together.




No comments:

Post a Comment