Saturday, 14 July 2012

July 13th - Engine out again! Arse!

While on the Scottish rally I was aware of a slight rattling noise from the newly rebuilt engine. As the engine was new I just put it down to a noisy tappet or something similar and just generally tried to ignore it. However, since the jaunt north of the border I've been having suspicions of it being something more serious. I'd tried to put it to the back of my mind,  but the more I've used it recently, the more evident it's become. I've taken a number of people of test drives to get their opinion, but while some can hear the noise, others can't. Weird!
The final straw was when I put the car into Mowatts for a rolling road session on Tuesday last. I didn't mention any engine noise to them as I wanted to see if they would pick up on it without any suggestion from me. Sure enough they did. The session revealed plenty of power in the engine, (109 BHP at the back wheels) but they would only push it to 5000 RPM because of the engine noise.
So, I had no choice but to remove the engine again. Not exactly pleasing, especially as it only went in at Easter and hasn't even covered 2000 miles since.

So, Friday night my RBRR partner in crime Dave came up to give me a hand to lift the engine out. I had disconnected everything the night before so the actual removal didn't take long. It is presently sitting on my work bench where it will be looked at by another engine builder on Monday night.

Once it was out Dave used my garage facilities to sort out the exhaust issues on his own car. Dave has a sense of humour similar to mine (Politically incorrect as well as warped) so a good laugh was had while the work was carried out. On this basis the RBRR will be entertaining if nothing else!
Meanwhile, because of the engine issues with Gertie, the estate will be kept running and up to spec just in case she has to take on RBRR duties, but I hope Gertie will be back in fine form again by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment